Over time the popularity of raised garden beds has risen majorly due to the unavailable space for traditional farming. Besides, gardening is an excellent way of relieving stress productively. A plot of soil is brought together with planks of wood above the surrounding ground. Not all soil in the garden has equal content concentration; therefore, such a garden gives you a chance to bring together the best garden soil for raised beds. The garden allows you to plant and manage your vegetables easily. Furthermore, a raised garden assures you healthy vegetation.
Best Soil for Raised Beds
1) Compressed Organic Potting-Soil
The magic compressed soil is packed in a two-pound bad. It is not a surprise that this soil type comes top in the list. When water is added to the earth, it expands seven times its current size. In the planet, you can be sure of the healthy components needed for the proper growth of your plants. Some of the elements that distinguish this type of soil are worm castings, ground coconut, and beneficial bacteria.
- Has the ability to maintain water content well
- Perfect for dry areas because of its ability to hold water for long
- The soil is bet-friendly and is safe for use around humans
- Not suitable for small spaces because of its ability to expand
- Does not provide proper air circulation for plants
2) Burpee Natural Organic Premium Growing Mix
Another soil mixer that tops in our list for a raised garden is Burpee. The soil is fertile with fertilizer that will help your vegetables vibrant flowers or herbs. Once your plant your produce, the ground instantly but slowly releases the plant food. The soil can feed your plants for three months. This soil also contains a coconut coir that ensures the moisture levels in the soil are maintained. The soil is the right choice, especially for indoor plants or seedlings. I would recommend an eight-quart bag which can fill five 10-inch pots.
- Appropriate for organic use
- Has the ability to keep water for long
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor vegetation
- You will need to renew the soil after three months
3)Miracle-Gro Expand ‘N Gro Potting Soil
Miracle-Gro is a reputable company that provides one of the best garden soil mixes for raised beds. Just as the name suggests, when introduced to water, the soil expands. One bag of this soil fills three containers of water when water is added to it. Therefore, you don’t have to buy many bags of soil which saves you money to a great extent. The soil has air that aids the growth of roots for your plants. As the soil expands, about 90% extra air is added to the soil. The soil is also suitable for garden soil or potting containers.
- Adequate air in the soil aids faster growth of plants
- Rapid expansion saves you money
- Can be used for raised gardening, potting containers or ground soil
- Can feed your plants for up six months
- Cannot hold water for long
- Not 100% organic
4) Kempf Compressed Coco Fiber Growing
Kempf Compressed Coco Fiber is one of the best organic garden soils for raised beds. The soil is 100% natural, which makes the soil environmentally friendly. This type of soil provides excellent air circulation, which provides for the healthy growth of plants. Furthermore, it can repel insects and resist mildew. Some little work is needed to make the garden. The procedure is clearly illustrated on the bad that carries the soil. It is a suitable replacement for pet moss when you are starting seedlings. Once the seedlings are ready, cover the garden with grass for faster growth.
- The soil is 100% organic therefore provides for healthy vegetation
- Good water retention rate
- Has the ability to repel insects and resist mildew
- Preparation is not an easy task especially for the newcomers
5) Espoma Organic Vegetable and Flower Soil
Another good option that provides the best soil for raised vegetable garden beds is Espoma organic garden soil. The soil is sold in different packages, which gives you a chance to buy the soil more than once. While the soil is suitable for raised gardens, it can still be used for in-ground planting or pot planting. The soil is fortified with Myco-tone, which has components such as endo mycorrhizae and ecto, which aid the growth in plants. Other essential ingredients fund in this type of soil are earthworm castings, peat humus, and moss. It provides an excellent environment for the plants to grow.
- Has no chemical that is harmful to the plants
- The soil is versatile and can be used for various purposes
- Comes in different packages and is cost-friendly
- Cannot keep water for an extended period
6) Black Gold Organic Potting Soil
If your focus is on growing vegetables and container-grown fruits, Black Gold Organic Soil is a product for you. The soil comes in packages of 16 quarts, but there are smaller and affordable options available for you in the market. Pumice and perlite have been added to this mixture to enable good circulation of air in the soil. The Black Gold Company assures you of an eco-friendly and organic combination in this soil.
- Provides for various packaging options
- The soil is organic and eco-friendly
- Good air circulations mean faster growth of your plants
- Versatile Affordable
- Cannot hold water for long
- The 16 quarts’ bag that comes with it is heavy and bulky
Just like any other aspect of life, home gardening requires a lot of patience. Once you make a choice over which plants you want, your next big task will be to choose the best soil to use for raised garden beds. Also, you must understand the content of each soil available in the market. Well, it all depends on what you are looking for in your garden. If your interest is growing organic plants, there are soils available for you. However, if you are interested in the faster growth of your plants, you will also find soil suitable for you.