If you are new to gardening or even experienced at it, it is always stressful looking for the best fertilizer for your garden. Fertilizers come in all ranges, types, and forms and are well marketed with only the positive aspects explained more often than not.
Several downsides get omitted, and this has proven disadvantageous since plants and soils have adverse reactions to special fertilizers. It may be through an excessive application, or the fertilizer might not work for your garden as it does with others.
It might also be that your choice of fertilizer was not well informed on what your soil and plant needed. Therefore, we have listed down what a good fertilizer consists of and done a review of the top five best fertilizers for gardens, showing the pros and cons of using these fertilizers. In this piece, we’ve compiled the best brands to help you set your eyes on the best compost for your garden.
The Makeup of a Good Fertilizer.
The needs of a garden and plants are unique, but there are the primary nutrients needed to cut across all plants and soil.
To ensure you maintain efficacy with your money and make the right choice of fertilizer, you need to carry out a soil test first – either using certified soil testing kits or outsourcing help from professionals.
Plants require 16 elements for proper growth and production. The vital nutrients, however, are Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K); NPK. They are a must-have for good fertilizer. The ratio is also something to look at when going for a specific fertilizer. The nutrients that the garden is most deficient should be higher in amount compared to the other components.
The fertilizers are named with regard to the proportions of the components. For instance, 5-10-10 means 5% of Nitrogen, 10% of Phosphorus, and 10% Potassium. Although the ratios may differ depending on your garden, most garden plants, especially vegetable gardens, work best with a balanced ratio: 20-20-20.
Five Top-Reviewed Fertilizers.
Micro-Gro All Purpose Plant Food.
The Micro-Gro is by far the best fertilizer for your garden. When using the brand’s garden feeder hose attachment, you only need to fill the jar, attach your garden hose, and set the sprayer. Besides, you can apply the fertilizer to the plants by adding half a teaspoon of the feed to a watering can and spraying on the garden.
- It’s suitable for vegetables, shrubs, flowers, trees and even house plants.
- The fast-acting effect has to enable one to note the change in one to two weeks of its application.
- It’s easy to use.
- It does not have a scorching effect on your outdoor plants.
- It contains large amounts of Nitrogen that might hinder the flowering of trees and shrubs, thus preventing plants from blooming.
- With its high salt levels, it might eventually drain the soil of all its nutrients, making it difficult for the plants to absorb nutrients from the ground.
Micro-Gro Water Soluble Tomato Plant Food.
One of the best fertilizer choice for your vegetable garden is the Micro-Gro Water Soluble Tomato Plant Food. The most noteworthy advantage of this fertilizer brand is its perfect efficacy on tomato plants.
- You may use it on container plants, in vegetable gardens, and even on seedlings.
- Its ratio is well balanced, NPK 18-18-21, which is the best fertilizer ratio for a vegetable garden.
- It is fast-acting.
- It does not have a scorching effect on your plants.
- highly concentrated in salts making the soil lose its natural nutrients eventually.
Jobe’s Organics 9026 Fertilizer.
It is one of the best granular organic fertilizers approved by the USDA for organic gardening. Jobe’s organics fertilizer is biodegradable, which makes it renewable and suitable for the environment. While it is essential to be extra cautious when using fertilizers, Jobe’s organics fertilizer has proven to be fatal when consumed by pets or children. This property makes it imperative to take extra caution to avoid such occurrences.
- It’s a biodegradable product that is both sustainable and renewable.
- It contains Jobe Biozome, a blend of fungi, bacteria, and Algae, all beneficial in the breakdown of nutrients by the plants.
- It makes the plants resistant to pests, diseases, and extreme weather conditions.
- Its packaging is well detailed such that it has instructions on how to use the seeds, seedlings, container gardening, and the more established plants.
- Extremely fatal when consumed by pets or children.
Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food Flower & Vegetable.
The Osmocote smart-release is one of the best fertilizer for garden soil that works well for perennial crops and vegetables. With a large packaging of about 8 pounds, it can last up to 4 months of usage or up to a whole growing season.
- It works well for both perennial crops and vegetables.
- It is long-lasting
- It promotes root and shoots development.
- Relatively slow in acting
Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed Tomato, Fruit & Vegetable Plant Food.
The miracle-Gro, like the micro-Gro fertilizer, is an incredible choice for tomatoes, vegetable gardens, and fruit trees. It feeds the microbes in the soil such that it strengthens the roots and enables water efficiency.
- It last long, a feed can last up to three months.
- The fertilizer also contains other micronutrients such as calcium that promote plant growth, especially for tomatoes that require calcium.
- You can also use it on containers or in-ground plants.
- Highly soluble in water, hence not suitable for use in rainy and sloppy landscapes.
Through these reviews, you should be more informed on the best fertilizer for your garden, keeping in mind their benefits and adverse effects. The Micro-Gro product has proven its efficiency and effectiveness, and all you have you do be mindful of the amounts you use and give your garden some time to breathe without fertilizer application.
While different people have their unique preferences when choosing fertilizers for their garden, this article is meant to help you find the best one that would ideally suit your gardening needs.